Its a well known fact the Belize City acts as the transportation hub of the country. Visitors who arriving via International Airport (PGIA) in Ladyville on the Northern Highway, would then need to travel to Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, San Ignacio or Hopkins and Placencia down in the southern region of the country.
There are five (5) ways of getting around in Belize:
- Water Taxi - The most common way of the travelling to the big Cayes from Belize City or from Independence to Placencia using the Hokey Poky in Stann Creek District.
- Car Rental - Not a choice we recommend and advanced booking is best so you ask all the question, Belize is rated as a third world country. The people are friendly, but if problem should arise being stranded on the road is not part of your vacation.
- Public Buses - Only recommend is you absolutely have too. Public bus runs in all six (6) districts and best time to travel would be early in the morning.
- Air plane - Both Tropic Air and Maya Island Air fly's throughout. A little waiting in a Terminal the price is some what OK and flight time is about 15 to 30 minutes depending on your destination.
- Private and shared ground Transfers - Saving the best for last! A shuttle is save you money and time and come with a driver to get your destination. Driver often server as ambassadors as they can answer just about any question you may have and are quick to point out stops along the way. No need to wait for them, they are there waiting on you.
Transportation between Belize City and San Ignacio
Focusing on getting from Belize City to San Ignacio, a plane flight would be the quickest way with less opportunity to see the country as you travel to your destination.
We won't discuses taking the buses, if you do, do so at your own risk. Car rentals is a good idea but without a drivers and in must case the rental company is the only place you can rely for help in case of an road emergency.
Here why we say the Shuttle transfers is the best of all other options. A drivers is there to meet at your destination, during your transfers stop and point of interest are a great way of exploring our country.
Travel from the International Airport or Belize city to San Ignacio by shuttle would take one of these rout.
From the International Airport - You either travel on the Northern Highway, then turn left on the to boom road, passing the Prison, then turn right of the round-a-bout a Hattieville and take the Western highway all the way to San Ignacio Town.
From Belize City - Take the Western Highway, passing the round-a-bout in Hattieville and the round-a-bout near Belmopan City. from there is on the San Ignacio Town.
The Zoo, Cave tubing and Zip Lining are tours that can be done during your transfers.
Finally, William's Belize Shuttle Service is the most reliable and comfortable shuttle for travelling to destination in southern Belize.
This shuttle service is your answer the following questions.
- How to get to Placencia from Belize City?
- How to get to Hopkins from Belize City?
- How to get to Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker from San Ignacio?
We just had to mentioned the big island, because it is a questioned you we see online a lot.